With my recent purchases of the iPad Pro Smart Folio and the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard, I wanted to make a change to my VESA mount. Over the year I’ve been using this Ergotron Clamp, I’ve started to notice a bit of wear on the edge of my device.
There still aren’t many great iPad Pro VESA mounts, but after reading about [Ben Brooks](https://brooksreview.net/2020/06/member-journal-6222020/#more-24430) setup, I decided to make my own magnetic iPad Pro VESA mount out of some plywood I had around and a cheap case.
In Ben’s setup, he was able to screw the iPad cover to the wood. The case I got had enough metal in the backing that the screw wouldn’t pull tight enough and stripped out the threads. I was glad I purchased two covers in case I wrecked the first one, because I did. Instead I used glue to stick the iPad cover to the plywood.
I’ve ended up with a VESA mount that is much cleaner than my old version. It’s also easier to add or remove my iPad.
Make sure you cut out the camera bump. Not only will this make it easier to remove the iPad, it also means you could still use the camera to scan a credit card if you wanted to.
Get a 90 degree mend USB C dongle. It’s going to clean up the look of your setup even more. I bought these ones and they work fine with my USB C hub from Twelves South.
## Parts List
– Plywood: I had 1/2 around from previous projects so I used this. I don’t think that 1/4” would provide enough structure if you’re going to be moving your iPad around on an arm like I have
– [Basic VESA arm](https://amzn.to/3kekl39)
– [Bolts](https://amzn.to/3fqzmeu) I got [black ones](https://amzn.to/2EIO181) but I can’t find my kit in the US.
– [90 bend USB C dongle](https://amzn.to/39QwlTu)
– [Long Thunderbolt Cable](https://amzn.to/39OLG76): Yes they’re expensive, but they will also support everything you get in USB C. The alternative is parsing USB C spec and trying to purchase the right cable.
– [iPad Pro Cover](https://amzn.to/3foWslF): Probably doesn’t matter much which cheap case you get as long as it’s magnetic.