Have you ever asked someone how they were and heard that they were ‘bored’? Probably not.
Most people answer ‘busy’ like it’s some badge of pride. Much like they talk about pulling an all-nighter as if we should be in awe of their stupidity.
There is no glory in rest. No social acclaim. We are never a hero because we rest. – Margin
We all fall in to this trap. Even if you don’t say that you’re ‘busy’ to everyone that asks you act like a sheep and say ‘great’ when someone tells you that they’re busy.
Forget busy, we should be asking if…
Stop asking how busy someone is! Don’t ask how work is going! They’re all boring non-questions which mask themselves as conversation.
- When was the last time you went home early from work?
- What was you last vacation?
- When was the last time you had a day with your family not even you phone for work
- How much time do you spend with the kids or family in a week?
- Same for your friends?
- What is the most personally meaningful thing you’ve done this month?
Planning your vacation and then sticking to it no mater what clients make demand of you will make you more effective with your work. It will be a boundary inside which you can get real work done.
By not putting your focus on your business, but on what you do outside of work, you keep work in its place. You are forced to choose what you do wisely.
When you can do wise and focused work, you’re much more likely to produce something of value.
photo by: evil_cheese_scientist